What is vegan?
Using or containing NO animal products. It may also refer to a person that does not eat or use animal products.
What are organic beauty products?
When we say organic beauty products, we mean products made of plant-derived ingredients, along with some other naturally occurring ingredients. These ingredients are grown without the use of harsh chemical pesticides, herbicides, synthetic fertilizers, GMO, and so on, and often come with an organic certification.
What is cruelty-free beauty?
Cruelty-free is a label for products or activities that do not harm or kill animals. Products tested on animals are not considered cruelty-free, since these tests are often painful and cause the suffering of millions of animals every year.
What are plant-based products?
Plant-based products are derived from plants, including vegetables, whole grains, legumes and fruits.
What are natural beauty products?
Natural skin care uses topical creams and lotions made of ingredients available in nature. These may include herbs, roots, flowers, and essential oils, but natural ingredients also may include animal-derived products, such as beeswax and minerals. These substances may be combined with various carrier agents, preservatives, surfactants, humectants and emulsifiers.
Why are gel nails unhealthy ?
Your nail bed is made of keratin. Your nail immediately absorbs anything on your nail bed. The polish sets with exposure to ultraviolet light. The downside with gel manicures stems from the crucial UV-curing step. A recent study found that the cumulative damage from the light frequencies the nail lamps emit can cause DNA damage to the skin that can result in premature aging and possibly cancer.
What’s the harm in acrylic nails?
1. The hard-to-clean area underneath your nail may cause your nails to be extra sensitive, especially if an MMA-based acrylic (Methyl Methacrylate) is used. Though they’ve been banned for use on nails because of toxicity, some low-end nail salons still use it.
2. Acrylics may create inflamed or itchy cuticles if the tools used to apply them are worn out or coarse. Be mindful of those which have sharp odors — this is a sign that something is off.
3. Depending on your nail strength, acrylics may cause a splitting or painful nail plate. Pay close attention to how strong and thick your nails are. Extremely thin nails may not be the best for acrylics.
4. It might be hard to spot, but infection or fungus below the nail bed can become all too real. This also goes back to overused, worn out nail tools.
5. Pay attention to your nail growth over time. Acrylics often weaken nails, making them prone to breakage.
Why are whirlpool pedicure chairs unsanitary ?
I’m sure we’re all familiar with this sight. Rows upon rows of pedicure chairs, with their massaging backs and attached foot baths with jets like a hot tub. They’re found regularly in nail salons throughout the country.
Here’s the issue. Many salons are NOT using them correctly, and putting their clients at great risk in the process! To understand why, let’s take a look at how these whirlpool chairs work. The tub is filled up with warm water from an attached faucet, and with the flick of a switch air and water circulates through the tub to make frothy bubbles. Sounds wonderful right? But the issue lies in what you can’t see. Underneath that chair is a pipe that, once the pedicure is over, carries your water away. But it’s also through this pipe that the new water comes in to create your bubbles! So essentially, when the water rushes in through the pipe, it’s bringing in with it all the bacteria, viruses, fungi, and anything else that was in peoples tub water before you sat down – for as many pedicures as it’s been since they last cleaned the pipe!